Easy to make and less expensive than commercial energy bars, these cost only 25 cents per bar, or $4 for the entire recipe
½ c. salted dry-roasted peanuts
½ c. raisins, craisins or other dried fruit
½ c. roasted sunflower seed kernels
2 c. raw oatmeal, quick or old fashioned oats
2 c. toasted rice cereal, such as rice crispies
½ c. peanut butter, crunchy or creamy
½ c. packed brown sugar
½ c. light corn syrup
1 tsp. vanilla
1. In a large bowl, mix together the peanuts, raisins, sunflower seed kernels, oatmeal and toasted rice cereal. Set aside.
2. In a medium microwaveable bowl, combine the peanut butter, brown sugar, and corn syrup. Microwave on high for 2 minutes. Add vanilla and stir until blended.
3. Pour the peanut butter mixture over the dry ingredients and stir until coated.
4. Spoon into an oiled 9X13 inch pan. Press down firmly. (It helps to coat your fingers with cooking spray).
5. Let stand for an hour to harden, then cut into 16 bars.
Yield: 16 servings