If you buy the instant oatmeal and don’t know what to do with the plain flavored packets, this is a great use for them. It would also be very good made with apple cinnamon oatmeal packets, you would just need to reduce the amount of cinnamon.
¾ c. butter flavored shortening
1 ¼ c. firmly packed brown sugar
1/3 c. milk
1 ½ tsp. vanilla
3 c. quick oats – uncooked
1 c. flour
¾ tsp. cinnamon
1 c. raisins
1 c. coarsely chopped walnuts
1. Heat oven to 375°. Grease baking sheets with shortening.
2. Combine shortening, brown sugar, egg, milk and vanilla in large bowl. Beat at medium speed of electric mixer until well blended.
3. Combine oats, flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Mix into creamed mixture at low speed just until blended. Stir in raisins and nuts.
4. Drop rounded tablespoons full of dough 2 inches apart onto baking sheet.
5. Bake one baking sheet at a time for 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool 2 minutes on baking sheet. Remove cookies to rack to cool completely.
Yield: 2 ½ dozen cookies