Almost as good as you’ll find in a restaurant
½ c. orange marmalade
4 Tbsp. rice wine vinegar
½ tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
Peanut oil for frying
½ c. flour
1 tsp. salt
½ tsp. baking powder
2/3 c. water
2 c. shredded sweetened coconut
½ c. bread crumbs
1 lbs. medium or large shrimp, peeled and deveined
1. For dipping sauce: Add all dipping sauce ingredients to a pot on a low temperature. Heat for 10 minutes, making sure you stir ingredients every few minutes.
2. In a large pot, heat 2 inch of the peanut oil to 325°.
3. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk together the flour, salt and baking powder. Add the water and whisk until smooth. Let the batter stand for 15 minutes.
4. In a wide, shallow bowl, toss the coconut and bread crumbs together.
5. Put the shrimp into the batter. Remove the shrimp, 1 at a time, and dredge in the coconut mixture, pressing to help the coconut adhere. Fry the shrimp in batches in the hot oil for 1 to 2 minutes or until brown. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the shrimp to a baking sheet lined with paper towels. Serve the shrimp with the dipping sauce.