½ c. butter or margarine, softened
2/3 c. sugar
1 egg, separated
2 Tbsp. milk
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 c. flour
1/3 c. cocoa
¼ tsp. salt
1 c. finely chopped pecans
½ c. semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 tsp. shortening
1. In a small mixing bow beat butter, sugar, egg yolk, milk and vanilla until creamy.
2. Stir together flour, cocoa and salt; blend into butter mixture. Refrigerate dough at least 1 hour or until firm enough to handle.
3. Heat oven to 350°. Beat egg white slightly. Shape dough into 1” balls. Dip each ball into egg white; roll in pecans to coat. Place on lightly greased cookie sheet.
4. Press thumb gently in center of each ball. Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until set. Press center of each cookie with thumb to make indentation.
5. Immediately spoon about ½ tsp. Caramel Filling in center of each cookie. Carefully remove to cookie sheet; cool on wire rack.
6. In small bowl place chips and shortening. Microwave on HIGH 1 minute or until softened; stir. Allow to stand several minutes to finish melting; stir until smooth. Place wax paper under wire rack with cookies. Drizzle chocolate mixture over top of cookies.
Yield: 2 dozen cookies