Monday, June 10, 2013

Pork Carnitas

You know me: I love to eat pig. 
I had 4 lbs. of pork loin in the freezer and decided to try a new to me pork recipe.  I found this one and it sounded really tasty.  And it was really good !  It makes a lot of meat, far more than the stated 6-8 servings.  But I used this for several days as tacos, enchiladas, and in rice bowls; I took the rest and put it in the freezer for later use.  This recipe is a keeper.
Here is the link to the site where I found this recipe.

2 1/2 - 3 lbs. pork loin roast
1/2 c. packed brown sugar
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. onion powder
1/2 tsp. oregano
1 tsp. beef bouillon granules or 1 cube crushed
dash salt
dash pepper
1/2 c. orange juice
1 Tbsp. soy sauce
Juice of 1 lime
1 Tbsp. fresh cilantro, optional

1.  In a dry skillet, sear all sides of the roast until brown.  Set aside.
2.  In a bowl, combine the brown sugar, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, bouillon, salt and pepper.  use the mixture to coat all sides of the seared roast.
3.  Place roast in a slow cooker and cover with any of the brown sugar/spice mixture.
4.  Add the orange juice, lime juice, soy sauce, and cilantro to the bottom of the slow cooker.
5.  Cook on low for 8-9 hours or high for 5-6 hours.
6.  Remove roast and shred.  Place shredded roast back in slow cooker to absorb cooking juices.
7.  Serve meat in tacos, burritos, quesadillas, or enchiladas.

Yield: 6-8 servings

No comments: