Tuesday, June 25, 2013

California Sandwich

Oh Man!  I so wish I could take credit for creating this sandwich, but I can't.  I sure am grateful to who ever thought of combining these simple and fresh ingredients in to making this. 
It. Is. So. Good.  {end of statement}
Whatever else you had planned for today, change those plans - make this sandwich instead. 
I didn't add the cheese to mine, it didn't need it.  I ate mine on a piece of toasted multi-grain bread.  It would also be good as a wrap. 
I just might cry: it is so good! 
Here is the link to the original recipe, and the following picture was taken by Rebecca Crump at ezrapoundcake.com I do not claim rights to this picture, but it is lovely so I used it.



1/4 c. Greek yogurt or mayonnaise, or 2 Tbsp. of each
1 Tbsp. finely chopped chives (I used green onions, because that is what I have)

1 avocado, peeled, pitted, and diced
1 tomato, diced
1 cucumber, seeded, peeled, and diced
Squeeze of lime juice (I used about 1 Tbsp.)
2 Tbsp. fresh cilantro or basil, chopped (I used cilantro, again, it's what I had)
4 slices whole grain bread or 4 small tortillas
1/4 c. alfalfa sprouts
2 - 4 slices pepper jack cheese
Salt and Pepper

1.  In a small bowl combine the yogurt, chives and salt and pepper; set aside.
2.  In a separate bowl, toss together the avocado, tomato, cucumber, lime juice and cilantro.  Season with salt and pepper; set aside.
3.  If desired (and I recommend it), toast the bread slices.  Spread yogurt mixture on all four bread slices.  On two of the four bread slices layer the cheese, alfalfa sprouts and avocado salad.  Place other slice of bread on top. 
4.  Try not to laugh out load with joy.

No comments: