Thursday, December 22, 2016

White Chicken Chili - Crockpot

It has been really rainy here the last few weeks and what goes better with rainy weather than a nice warm bowl of chili.  I am not at a bean eater, in fact I avoid them when possible.  My dear husband, however loves beans, and since our marriage has begged me to make foods with beans in them.  I have found that in my levels of hatred for beans, white beans rank pretty high on the palatable scale.  This recipe allows my husband to eat beans, and is mostly acceptable to me, I have been caught picking the beans out of my bowl, though (don't tell Adam).

3-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, uncooked
1 1/2 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. onion powder
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
dash cayenne
1 (14.5 oz.) can chicken broth
1 (4.5 oz.) can chopped green chilies (undrained)
1 (15 oz.) can corn, drained
2 (15.5 oz.) can white beans, drained and rinsed well
3 Tbsp. butter
3 Tbsp. flour
1 c. milk
1 tsp. chicken base
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. seasoned salt
1/2 c. sour cream

Place chicken breasts in crockpot, sprinkle chili powder, cumin, onion powder, garlic powder, and cayenne over the chicken.  Pour chicken broth, green chilies, corn and beans over chicken.  Cook on low for 6-8 hours.

An hour before serving:   Remove chicken from crockpot and shred using two forks to pull the meat apart, set aside.  Melt butter over medium-high heat in a small saucepan.  When butter is melted, whisk in the flour, cook until flour is browned.  Gradually whisk in milk and chicken base.  Allow sauce to simmer for a few minutes, whisking frequently; add salt and pepper.  Pour sauce into crockpot, stir to combine.  Stir in the sour cream, add chicken back to pot.  

Continue to cook on low for an additional hour.

No comments: