Thursday, December 22, 2016

Garlic Green Beans

My grandma was an amazing cook.  All holidays were filled with her delicious pasta, bread, polenta, creamed spinach, and what we called 'bacon fat green beans'.  They were fried in, you guess it: bacon fat (well the grease that is rendered from bacon fat, anyway).  They were salty, a little crispy, and so, so, so delicious.  She got sick and was unable to cook by the time I was old enough to start asking for her recipes.  Unfortunately, I don't have many that are from her first hand.  
At dinner group my friends served these green beans and they are so close to grandma's delicious bacon fat green beans that I make them fairly frequently.  These are made using butter, but I think the next time I do these I'll use bacon grease and see if they match hers at all.

4 Tbsp. butter
4 cloves garlic, minced
Dash of cayenne pepper
1 1/4 lbs. fresh green beans
Salt
Pinch of sugar
1/4 c. water
chopped pecans
French onions, optional

In a large skillet, melt butter and toast garlic with a dash of cayenne pepper.  Add green beans, season with salt and a pinch of sugar.  Cook for 2 minutes.  Add water, cover and cook for 6 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Uncover and continue cooking until water evaporates.  After water has evaporated, continue to fry the beans in the pan until they are slightly caramelized.  Season with salt and pepper.  Remove from heat, toss with chopped pecans and French onions if desired.

No comments: