2 tsp. active dry yeast
1 1/2 c. water
2 tsp. sugar
3 c. all-purpose flour
1 c. whole wheat flour
2 tsp. salt
1. Combine yeast and water in the mixing bowl of a stand mixer and let stand until bubbly.
2. Add sugar, 1 c. whole wheat flour, 1 cup all purpose flour and the salt. Mix well.
3. Continue to add all purpose flour until the dough pulls away from the sides of the mixer bowl.
4. Turn the dough out onto a floured work surface and knead until smooth and springy (if you pinch the dough, it should spring back to it's original shape).
5. Shape the dough into a ball and cover loosely with a towel. Let rise for 30 minutes.
6. Place a baking sheet or baking stone in the bottom third of the oven and heat to 500.
7. Divide dough into eight pieces. On a well floured surface, roll the dough out until it is approximately 1/2 inch thick. Repeat for all eight pieces. Cover rounds with a damp towel and let rest for 15 minutes.
8. Place rounds on baking sheet or stone. Bake until golden brown and puffed, about 6-8 minutes.
9. Immediately after removing from the oven, cover pitas with a damp kitchen towel, or place them in a paper bag to steam.