Thursday, January 10, 2008

Garlicky Baked Butternut Squash

2 Tbsp. minced fresh parsley
2 Tbsp. olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
3 1/2 lbs of butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
1/3 c. grated Parmesan cheese

1. In a large bowl, combine the parsley, oil, garlic, salt and pepper. Add squash and toss to coat.
2. Transfer to an ungreased shallow 2-quart baking dish. Bake, uncovered at 400 degrees for 50-55 minutes or until squash is just tender.

I stirred mine halfway through cooking and sprinkled the cheese over the last 10 minutes of baking (since the recipe didn't specify when to include the cheese).

Note: The squash is hard to peel. I had to use a very sharp paring knife, a veggie peeler will not cut it. I've seend recommended to poke the squash a few times with a fork and cook in the microwave 8 minutes then peel and seed; but this makes it messier.
I also haven't tried this with frozen squash. I'm not sure how the consistency would turn out, I'm not sure if you have to cook frozen squash less or not.

No comments: