Thursday, June 12, 2014

Southwest Chopped Salad

Somehow this recipe was pinned to my Pinterest account with links to three different blogs.  I guess it's a popular one out there in the blog-o-sphere and that I really want to try it!  It is very, very good.  
Summer is the perfect time to have salads for dinner, and this is an excellent one to try.  It makes a lot and is very filling.  My kids were not the biggest fans, but one of them doesn't like salad dressing and neither of them like avocados, so there was bound to be some disappointment when this showed up on the table.  They lived and they will eat it again, as I will be making it again.

1 head romaine lettuce, chopped, washed and patted dry
2 c. shredded chicken (I grilled mine sprinkled with garlic salt)
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 c. corn (would be awesome fresh, but I used frozen that I'd defrosted)
1 medium vine tomato, diced
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
4 green onions, sliced
1/4 c. chopped cilantro
2 avocados, diced
1 c. crushed tortilla chips (optional)

1/2 c. fat free mayonnaise
2/3 c. plain Greek yogurt (I've also used just plain non-Greek yogurt which made the dressing a little bit easier to stir)
1 Tbsp. ranch dressing powder
1 Tbsp. taco seasoning
Juice of one lime

1.  In a large bowl, toss all of the salad ingredients, minus the tortilla chips
2.  In a small bowl mix together the dressing ingredients.  Toss the salad with as much or as little of the dressing to your taste; top with tortilla chips.

No comments: