Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Raspberry Lemonade Bars

I did not make this recipe up, I found it on another blog, and out of respect for them, here is the link to the original makers of this recipe.

I had REALLY high hopes for this recipe.  It sound like it would be right up my alley.  I had all kinds of visions in my head of how to morph this recipe using other combinations with my favorite citrus fruits.  I did enjoy them, but not quite as intensely as I'd thought I would.  The color is beautiful and they are easy to serve.  They, also, are a little too tart for my liking, don't get me wrong.  I really like sour food, but something about these were not super awesome.  I also didn't really love the texture; I am enthusiastic about my enjoyment of lemon bars.  The smoothness of the lemon layer is very pleasing to me.  These bars were a little bit more on the jello-ish side.  I think it's because of the 3 egg whites, but don't quote me on that one.
Anyway, you can be the judge as to whether these are worth keeping around.  I didn't save the printout that I had magneted to my fridge for the weeks leading up to baking day.

9 T. (1 stick + 1 T.) butter

¼ c. sugar

1 c. flour

1 t. vanilla extract

pinch of salt


12 oz (heaping 2 c.) frozen raspberries thawed

¾ c. sugar

c. lemon juice (about 4 lemons)

2 T. lemon zest (3 lemons worth)

3 egg whites

1 egg

c. flour

pinch of salt


powdered sugar for dusting on top
1.  Preheat oven to 350ยบ F. Line an 8x8 baking pan with parchment paper so you can easily lift the bars out once they've cooled. If you don't have an 8x8 that's ok. I did this in a smaller rectangular pan too and they turned out just fine. You may have to adjust the baking times depending on the size.

2.  Cream the butter and sugar together with an electric mixer, then add in vanilla. Add flour until just incorporated. Dump dough in baking pan and press with your hands until it evenly covers the bottom of the dish. Bake for 20 - 25 minutes until slightly golden brown. 

3.  Put the berries in a fine mesh sieve and press them through (this removes the seeds) into a large bowl. If you don't mind seeds, you can add them in whole. Or if you don't have a sieve, you can blend them up in a food processor or blender. Add sugar, egg whites, egg, lemon juice + zest, flour, and salt to the bowl and stir to combine. Pour the mixture into the crust (don't worry, it's a very loose mixture, it will thicken) and bake for 25 - 30 minutes depending on your oven and the sized baking dish you use.
4.  Let cool to room temperature and then place in the refrigerator for 4 hours (or until they've cooled completely). You can place them in the freezer if you need them sooner but refrigerator is best. If you let them cool overnight, they're even better!

No comments: