Sunday, November 4, 2012

Fast Breadsticks

Taisey is my source for great recipes.  She sent me this recipe over a year ago and I just got around to trying it two nights ago.  They are delicious. My usual go-to for breadsticks is my Soft Italian Breadsticks recipe but in a pinch these worked perfectly.  These are delightfully crispy on the outside and soft in the center.  The 'easy' part is that they only rise once for 30 minutes.  Yummy breadsticks in about an hour?  Yes, please!

1 1/2 c. warm water
1 Tbsp. yeast
3 1/2 c. flour
2 Tbsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt

3 Tbsp. butter, melted

1.  Mix all the ingredients except the melted butter, in a large bowl (or electric mixer).  Knead for 3 minutes.  Let the dough rest for 10 minutes. 
2.  Heat oven to 375*.  Spread melted butter onto an 11X17 baking sheet. 
3.  Roll out the dough about 1/4 to 1/2 thick and cut into strips with a pizza cutter.  Twist slightly, if desired and place breadsticks about 1/2 apart on the baking sheet.  Sprinkle with garlic salt, choice of herbs (either.rosemary, basil, and/or thyme, crushed finely) and grated Parmesan cheese.  Cover with greased plastic wrap and let rise for 30 minutes (I did this on a cooler day by preheating my oven to 200, turning it off and placing the baking sheet in the oven for 20 minutes, then pulled it out to finish rising then preheated my oven to 375*).
4.  Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown.

Yield: 20-25 breadsticks

No comments: