Thursday, September 6, 2012

Pancakes

One of my new goals for the school year is to have a real breakfast for my kids before they leave in the morning.  Cereal only occasionally.  I've had this recipe in my binder for years and have never tried it until this morning.  I don't know where I found it but it's title says it's the recipe for the pancakes at a restaurant chain who claim they have pancakes from around the world. 
For some reason the recipe as I have it in my binder does not include any liquid.  I added some milk just to get it to a batter consistency, I'm not sure how much it was.  Probably less than 1 cup, maybe 2/3 cup.  Also it might need a little salt, I'll add maybe 1/4 teaspoon next time. 
They were very good.  A little sweeter than store bought pancake mix recipes.  The texture was excellent.  I will use these as my go-to pancakes from now on.

Nonstick cooking spray
1 1/4 c. flour
1 egg
1/4 c. sugar
1 heaping tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 c. cooking oil

1.  Preheat skillet over medium heat.  Use a pan with nonstick surface or apply a little non stick cooking spray.
2.  In a blender or with a mixer, combine all of the remaining ingredients until smooth.
3.  Pour the batter by spoonfuls onto the hot pan, forming 5" circles.
4.  When the edges appear to harden, flip the pancakes.  They should be light brown.
5.  Cook on the other side for same amount of time, until light brown.

Yield: 8-10 pancakes

No comments: