Friday, September 7, 2012

Macaroni and Cheese

You never know what kind of gems you will find on the back of packages.  I found this recipe on the back of bag of dried pasta.  I added my own secret ingredient (I guess it's not super secret if I'm sharing it here).  I love queso cheese, especially the kind in the #10 can that you can buy at Costco.  I find it delicious.  I added it to this mac and cheese and it gave it just a slight hint of spice, and extra creaminess that was exactly what I like in macaroni and cheese.

8 oz. small elbow macaroni
3 Tbsp. margarine or butter
3 Tbsp. flour
2 1/2 c. milk
1/2 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
1/4 c. mined onion
3/4 c. queso nacho cheese dip
2 c. (8 oz) shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 c. bread crumbs

1.  Cook elbows according to package directions; drain.  Preheat oven to 350.  Grease a 2-quart baking dish; set aside. 
2.  In a medium saucepan, melt butter.  Stir in flour; cook for 3-4 minutes.  Gradually stir in milk.  Cook stirring constantly over medium heat, until sauce thickens.  Stir in salt and pepper.  Add onion and both cheeses; stir until cheddar is melted.
3.  Stir cheese sauce into elbows.  Transfer to prepared baking dish.  Top with bread crumbs. 
4.  Bake 30 minutes.

Yield: 4 to 6 servings

No comments: