Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Snickerdoodle Cookies

I am always on the hunt for a perfect snickerdoodle cookie.  I don't know what it is that I love about them so much, it's the unique zing that the cream or tartar adds.  I like them crunchy on the edges and soft in the middle.  And anything with cinnamon sugar is always welcome on my tongue.

1/2 c. butter, softened
1/2 c. shortening
1 1/2 c. white sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 3/4 c. flour
2 tsp. cream of tartar
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
2 Tbsp. white sugar
2 tsp. ground cinnamon

1.  Preheat oven to 400.  Cream together butter, shortening, 1 1/2 c. sugar, eggs and vanilla.  Blend in flour, cream of tartar, soda and salt.  Shape dough by rounded spoonfuls into balls.

2.  Mix the 2 Tbsp. sugar and the cinnamon.  Roll balls of dough into cinnamon/sugar mixture.  Place 2" apart on ungreased baking sheets.

3.  Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until set.  Remove immediately from baking sheets.

Yield: about 48 cookies

No comments: