Saturday, April 20, 2013

Peanut Butter Brownies

I know, you're completely shocked to see ANOTHER chocolate/peanut butter combination recipe. 
I have had this one sitting in the 'to be made' stack for years.  I had the ingredients, hankering, and time to finally make them and I am so satisfied that I did.  The brownie portion was the perfect consistency: dense, fudgy and moist.  The peanut butter portion was just peanut buttery enough, creamy and had the right amount of tanginess from the cream cheese (if you know me, you know that cream cheese is one of my pantry staples, I could eat the stuff always and never be sad I was doing so).  I was nervous to put them in the refrigerator, afraid that they might dry out as some baked goods do, but my fears were unfounded.  They were perfect even four days later when the pan was finally cleaned out.  These, for sure, have now made it to the 'must make again' stack.

3 eggs
1 c butter or margarine, melted
2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 c. sugar
1 1/4 c. flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
3/4 c. baking cocoa
1/4 tsp. salt
1 c. milk chocolate chips

2 pkg. (8 oz. each) cream cheese, softened
1/2 c. creamy peanut butter
1/4 c. sugar
1 egg
2 Tbsp. milk

1.  In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs, butter and vanilla.  In a separate bowl, combine together the dry ingredients.  Stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients about 1/3 at a time until just combined.  Stir in the chocolate chips. 
2.  Set aside 1 c. for the topping.  Spread the remaining batter into a greased 9X13" baking pan. 
3.  In a small mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese, peanut butter and sugar until smooth.  Add the egg and milk, beating on low just until combined.
4.  Carefully spread over the batter.  Drop reserved batter by tablespoonfuls over filling.  Drag a knife through the batter to swirl (do not mix) for a marbled effect.
5.  Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
6.  Cool on a wire rack before cutting.  Refrigerate until serving.

Yield: 3 dozen

No comments: